As part of Greater And Grander’s Public Speaking Engagements, we are provide information below on a new offering.
A College Level class, or series of lectures, on children’s entertainment, provided by our experienced Producers and speakers, each with over a decade of experience in the Film and Television industry. Below is a synopsis of lecture topics, and proposed syllabus for the college level course.
Contact us today to see how we can help at info at greater and grander dot com.
Title: Children & Family Entertainment, A Historical Overview
Description: This is an examination and exploration of children and family multimedia entertainment, from the original Nickelodeons to Oculus Rift experiences for children. We will examine patterns and aesthetics of successful storytelling techniques for viewers from 1 to 16.
- Review and immerse in patterns and aesthetics of children’s entertainment.
- Production analysis of children’s entertainment; how does form follow function?
- How to cover challenging topics for children?
- Let your inner child out.
- No condescending and no cursing.
- No idea is too crazy or too weird.
Required Texts and/or Materials:
- Jim Henson, The Biography
- Walt Disney biography
- Mr. Rogers biographical film, Won’t You Be My Neighbor
- Children’s Psychology Books
- The Hero’s Journey by Joseph Campbell
- Nickelodeon machines and what influenced them. An exploration of the hero’s journey.
- Silent Movie Child Actors and Silent Films for Children
- Walt Disney Studios, Steamboat Willie, and Mickey Mouse talkies
- Bugs, Daffy, and Porky and Morality Plays Examples
- Snow White and Seven other animated feature films
- The growth of children’s television, and PBS Kids
- Successful international children’s narratives
- Christian Propaganda Movies
- Post-modern deconstruction of children’s entertainment conventions. AdventureTime, Steven Universe, Pixar, and more.
- Children’s narratives in video games
- Storytelling in children’s mobile apps
- VR and AR, selected children’s examples
- Final class presentation.
Literature & Resources
Checklist for Identifying Exemplary Uses (PDF)
The Pennsylvania Digital Media Literacy Project – 2014
NAEYC-FRC Position Statement (PDF)
A joint position statement issued by the National Association for the Education of Young Children and the Fred Rogers Center for Early Learning and Children’s Media at Saint Vincent College – 2012
A summary of key recommendations from the NAEYC-Fred Rogers Center joint position statement released in March 2012.
Technology in the Lives of Educators and Early Childhood Programs (PDF)
Ellen Wartella, Ph.D., Courtney K. Blackwell, Ed.M., Alexis R. Lauricella, Ph.D., and Michael B. Robb, Ph.D. – 2013
Technology in the Lives of Educators and Early Childhood Programs: Trends in Access, Use, and Professional Development from 2012 to 2014 (PDF)
Courtney K. Blackwell, Ph.D., Ellen Wartella, Ph.D., Alexis R. Lauricella, Ph.D., and Michael B. Robb, Ph.D. – 2015
Carrying Fred Rogers’ Legacy Forward in the Digital Age. Paciga, K.A., Donohue, C.D., Struble Myers, K., Fernandes, R., & Li, J. (2017). Fred Forward Symposium Proceedings, May 14, 2017. Latrobe, PA: Fred Rogers Center for Early Learning and Children’s Media at Saint Vincent College.
The Fred Rogers Center creates videos that highlight the intersections of child development and media, and the power of human interactions.
Using Technology Tools
Using Technology Tools (PDF)
Talking With Babies
Reflecting on the Position Statement 5 Years Later
The Fred Rogers Center has created mobile apps that recognize the importance of early literacy and healthy social and emotional development for young children, as well as the importance of positive engagement, conversation, and social interaction between parents, teachers, caregivers, and children. Here is the latest offering from the Fred Rogers Early Career Fellows program.
ChromaKids invites young children to become storytellers! Discover an interactive artistic experience for children ages three and older.
ChromaKids ignites fun and excitement in a creative and collaborative exchange of stories. Storytellers are invited to develop a story by creating a picture using drawing tools and stickers. They can record themselves telling a story that goes with the illustration.
ABOUT GREATER AND GRANDER
Whether you’re looking for business speakers at the Millenial forefront, leadership speakers to inspire your team to great heights, or entertainment and celebrity speakers to engage and excite a crowd, Greater and Grander is prepared to provide the best in the business. We have relationships with some of the most enthralling speakers on a variety of topics. We are ready to amaze your audience, and help take your business to the next level. Contact us today to see how we can help at info at greater and grander dot com.