What is Accelerationism?
Accelerationism is the idea that Capitalism should be accelerated instead of reformed in order to bring about it’s early self-destructive tendencies. According to Wikipedia;
In political and social theory, accelerationism is the idea that capitalism, or particular processes that historically characterised capitalism, should be accelerated instead of overcome in order to generate radical social change. “Accelerationism” may also refer more broadly, and usually pejoratively, to support for the intensification of capitalism in the belief that this will hasten its self-destructive tendencies and ultimately lead to its collapse.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerationism
However, this is built upon 2 false premises.
The People Will Revolt
1. That the people will rise up and revolt against a system that treats them unfairly.
However, there are dozens, if not hundred of countries around the world where the poor living standards and conditions are much worse than American capitalism, and the people choose to not rise up for a variety of reasons, whether it’s the desire for stability, false hope, or authoritarian oppression.
It Dehumanizes People
2. The idea of Accelerationism is that speeding up the process will end capitalism quickly, and thus, overlooks all the human suffering that will take place in the interim. This is destructive to the people and turns them into dehumanized pawns of a larger economic agenda.
I’ll give you an example, some people chose to vote for Donald Trump in 2016 as a protest vote, thinking it would hasten the shake up of the system and the destruction of the current elite order, while overlooking the larger Republican party’s tendencies for destruction, libertarianism, mismanagement, corruption, and chaos.
As a result, in the past 3.5 years:
- 4,645 people in Puerto Rico died because of a botched recovery to a hurricane.
- 809 mass shootings have occurred in the United States as of January of 2020, killing 1,102 people and injuring 3,578 because Trump wouldn’t reauthorize the ban on assault weapons.
- Family separation at the border has killed dozens of people, including 8 children and traumatizing over 5,000 children by ripping them from their parents
- And as of today, 143,000+ Americans have died from the CoronaVirus, which could have been prevented if the Administration took action in January when they first learned about it.
I understand the Progressive desire to tear down the old system by any means necessary, but philosophies like this wind up killing a lot of innocent people.
To quote President Bartlett,